Names indicating connection with public authorities
The Registrar of Companies also check names that indicate connection with public authorities meaning:
- If an application for the approval by the Registrar of a name for a proposed company could in the Registrar’s opinion give the impression that the company would, if registered with that name, be connected with a public authority, the Registrar shall require the applicant to request the authority to give its view on the matter.
- On being required by the Registrar to do so in the above, the applicant shall request the authority to give its view as to:
- whether it considers that the name, if approved, would be connected to a public authority.
- if the authority considers that the name would have that effect, whether it would object or not object to the name being approved for the company by the Registrar.
- As soon as practicable after receiving a request the public authority shall:
- give its view on the proposed name of the company; and
- if it considers that that name would give the impression that the company is, if registered under that name, connected with that authority, state whether it objects or does not object to the approval by the Registrar of the name for the company.
Similarly, it is stated that the approval of the Registrar is required for a company to be registered under this Act by a name that State or local or would be likely to give the impression that the company is public authority. Connected with
- a State organ;
- a county government;
- any public authority prescribed by the regulation.
Additionally the requirements of the law may.
- provide for the letters or other characters, signs or symbols, including accents and other diacritical marks, and punctuation that may be used in the name of a company to be registered and
- specify a standard style or format for the name of a company for the purposes of registration.
- The regulations may prohibit the use of specified characters, signs or symbols when appearing in specified positions, in particular, at the beginning of a name.
Section 8 of Companies (General) Regulations Act,2015, Companies Act no. 17 of 2015 Section 50. Companies Act no. 17 of 2015 Section 52.